Saturday, September 5, 2009

New Shirt!

I spent all day hand-printing the new shirt. The entire time I had Brother Mike hovering over me, asking me questions while I was trying to print. "Fuck man, I just don't get this. When I was in school, we had typewriters." Mike is working on a script for an animated pilot, based on Mike's crazy life, called "Somewhere between a Punch and a Handshake". Mike hates computers and would rather write everything out on toilet paper, like he was in prison.

The new shirt was designed by Doug McQueen during the Antagonist Beach Retreat in '07. Doug is a talented apprenticing tattoo artist. His work is a mix of odd pop images with elements of white trash. The artist's retreat is modeled after the vacations, written about by Henry Miller and Ernest Hemingway, in which a group of painters, dancers, writers and all sorts of creative types would vacation at the shore. Change your environment, relax and bond with other artists; drink and be merry. On our artist's retreats, I always bring a large pad of sketch paper and leave it in the screened-in porch. One night, in between shoot-gunning our seven mini-buds, Doug started sketching the work. By the next night, there were more than a dozen images of our logo. I picked this one since it reminded me of Rat Fink. This logo has a special meaning for me since it was designed in the same year that I asked my wife to marry me. But that's a different story.



Every few years, we redesign the Antagonist ninja logo but a few elements stay the same. The colors are always black and white with a red background. It's a black, masked ninja within a circle, with the text "Antagonist Movement" in a band.




You can pick up one of our new shirts at 99x, located at 84 East 10th Street NYC between 3rd and 4th Avenues, or come to one of our art shows. The shirts are in all sizes for men and women. The money goes right back into making more Antagonist Art. I've got to go. Mike is bothering me about format even though I have already shown him 10 times. I think he just likes having me lean over him so he can sniff my stink.

-Ethan Minsker
09/03/2009

1 comment:

AllisonHester said...

those shirts are rad. we need 2!