Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Art Bitching

Dash Snow is a Dead Asshole


There was a time when Dash and his crew of friends (Ryan McGinley and Dan) hung around the bar I work at. I found Dash to be charming and interesting. I enjoyed their stories of drunken parties and tagging the city. Later I found out he was part of the De Menils family famous for their art collecting. I never paid much attention to his art. In fact, I hated it. I'm not saying he wasn't passionate about art, he was. The only reason he was famous was by his connection to the De Menils.


In New York City there are lots of talented artists who aren't connected or wired into the art world and who will never be known. How do you change that? I don't know but if you have a clue please let me know.


I was at the beach when I heard Dash had died from a heroin overdose. I had seen him a few weeks earlier walking in the East Village looking like some Cowboy Hipster. My friends thought it was funny. I guess there are a lot of people out there who don't like the fact he was famous by birth. But it made me sad. I just remembered him as this young kid full of life. Heroin? It's a pathetic way to die. Nothing new. Redundant. Why can't these creative types come up with a better way to die? Drink paint and strap dynamite to their chest and Jackson Pollock on their asses.


-Ethan Minsker

1 comment:

LordFireFly said...

Actually I don't think Dash Snow is any bit talented at all, if not he represents what the current hipster culture is....a rich hack who excelled at nothing!

I don't know him personally and he might of been a good guy for all I know. From what I've seen his stuff's truly amateurish, he's not the most skill full or an engaging photographer. His collaging technique is poor and as for his tagging... to take from graffiti vernacular he is at best described as a toy.

Some people are calling him the Basquiat of the next generation. I say that's absolute bullshit, he is nothing more but a fake creative coasting on the waves of his connections and his obsolescent lifestyle. It's a pity that he died so young, but it's a real shame that his death is being mired with artistic glory.